More Than a Number on the Scales: What My Resting Heart Rate Is Telling Me

 When I started this health journey, the number on the scales naturally became my focus.

Every Friday I'd step on, record my weight and hope to see it moving in the right direction.

But over the past few weeks I've begun to realise that perhaps the scales aren't telling the most interesting story.

This week my Apple Health app highlighted something I'd almost overlooked.

My average resting heart rate has fallen from 68 beats per minute to 61 beats per minute over the last six weeks.

That simple notification stopped me in my tracks.

Looking Beyond Weight

Since April I've lost more than 8 kg.

I've also:

  • Started exercising regularly through VR badminton.
  • Become more aware of my nutrition using MyFitnessPal.
  • Begun monitoring my blood pressure using the LifeLight app.
  • Walked more, both through work and leisure.
  • Built healthier routines that feel sustainable.

Perhaps my body is beginning to reflect those changes in ways that go beyond weight.

Why Resting Heart Rate Matters

Your resting heart rate is exactly what it sounds like—the number of times your heart beats each minute while you're at rest.

Many factors influence it, including age, fitness, stress, sleep, illness and medication.

Rather than focusing on any single reading, Apple looks at the trend over time.

Seeing my average fall from 68 bpm to 61 bpm suggests that something positive may be happening.

It doesn't prove I'm fitter.

It doesn't prove my heart is healthier.

But it's another encouraging sign alongside my weight loss, activity levels and blood pressure that the lifestyle changes I'm making may be having a broader impact.

Technology Helping Me See the Bigger Picture

One of the themes running through this blog is that technology doesn't create healthier people.

People do.

Technology simply helps us notice things we might otherwise miss.

Without my Apple Watch and Apple Health, I probably wouldn't have realised my resting heart rate had changed.

Without MyFitnessPal, I wouldn't have understood my eating habits.

Without LifeLight, I wouldn't have started monitoring my blood pressure.

Each tool provides another piece of the puzzle.

None of them changes my behaviour on its own.

But together they help me make better decisions.

The Bigger Win

Crossing below 100 kg will be a wonderful milestone.

But perhaps the real success isn't a number on the scales.

Perhaps it's knowing that my body appears to be responding positively to months of healthier choices.

More movement.

Better nutrition.

Greater awareness.

Less sitting still.

Small changes.

Repeated consistently.

Threads With Connection

This is exactly why I've started measuring more than my weight.

Health isn't defined by one number.

It's reflected in lots of different indicators that, together, begin to tell a story.

For me, that story now includes my weight, activity, blood pressure and resting heart rate.

Each one is another thread.

And when those threads begin to move in the same direction, they create a picture that's far more meaningful than the scales alone.

Sometimes the biggest victories are the ones you almost miss.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If Neighbourhood Health Is Going to Succeed, We Need to Leave Organisational Boundaries Behind

Simon's Story: Eight Years Later and Still Looking Forward

Fifty, Under 100 kg and 10 kg Lighter: The Journey Continues